Have you switched to a natural deodorant, but you can’t stand ‘your’ smell? This is what I call the transition period, and I’m here to tell you it doesn’t last forever! (Hallelujah!) AND this armpit detox will help speed up the stinky stage.
Wait, why even detox your armpits at all? Sounds weird, right? Well, you’ll thank me later!
First, let’s clear up the difference because deodorant and antiperspirant; they are two different things. Deodorant is meant to reduce body odor, and antiperspirant is meant to limit sweat. Conventional deodorants and antiperspirants contain chemicals and additives.
This is the chemical list in some deodorants and antiperspirants:
· Aluminum– This is found in antiperspirants. The aluminum limits wetness by blocking your underarm sweat ducts and reduces body odor by inhibiting the bacteria that feed on your sweat. The two main health issues associated with aluminum in deodorant are Alzheimer’s disease and breast cancer.
· Phthalates–Endocrine disruptors often used in plastic to increase flexibility. These can cause hormone imbalance which can lead to infertility.
· Propylene glycol– Also known as, antifreeze. Associated with a moderate risk of immunotoxicity and allergies
· Formaldehyde- You read that right… A known carcinogen… must kill the germs though
· Parabens- Another endocrine disruptor! This is preservative that leads to hormonal imbalance.
Are your armpits smelly?
Are you getting a rash from the baking soda in your natural deodorant?
The buildup of toxic chemicals could be the reason, and most likely is. Sometimes when you use a natural deodorant you will notice your armpits can smell bad. After detoxing your armpits, the odor and/or rash will continue to fade.
But why all this fuss about your armpits?!
Axillary lymph nodes are found in your pits. The purpose of these nodes are to support your immune system but to also filter out "bad guys" like cancer cells. Putting endocrine disruption chemicals directly on top of your lymph nodes is asking for problems.
Our skin is the body’s largest organ and we need to take care of it; what touches our skin enters our bloodstream!
Dr. Taryn's Detoxifying Armpit Recipe
1 TBSP bentonite clay
2 tsp organic apple cider vinegar (Bragg's)
1. Mix ingredients together to create a paste.
2. Spread in an even layer over the armpits and allow to sit for 5-20 minutes. (If this is your first time doing the detox, I suggest you start with 5 minutes.) You’ll start slowly and work up to a longer amount of time once you see how your body reacts.
If it hurts at all, remove immediately.
3. Wash off in the shower or with a warm, wet washcloth. (I personally do it right before I shower.)
Repeat as needed until underarm odor goes away and natural deodorant is non-irritating.
Some deodorant’s I suggest- Primally Pure, Primal Pit Paste, Piper Wai, Smiley Pits, Vermont Soap, Pure Haven, Native
Dr. Taryn Stittleburg, DC, CFMP, PSc.D